Kind Kids – Humane Education Program
Our Humane Education program is available to teachers and youth groups in Flagler County free of charge, in order to develop empathy by instilling respect and responsibility for animals and their environment. Various programs are available or can be developed to meet specific subject and age needs. Shelter tours are available for small groups. For more information or to schedule a program, please call Yvonne Presley AKA “Granny Kind” at 386-445-1814 during shelter business hours, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Owned, properly trained pets are taken with their volunteer pet owners to visit the sick and elderly in assisted living facilities, group homes, etc.
Tales for Tails and Paws to Read
- Tales for Tails is a program of reading to adoptable cats. This is a relatively new program that just started at Petco. The program allows children to come and read to all the adoptable cats that are located in the stores. The cats love the attention and socialization.
- Paws to Read is a program of practicing reading to Ambassador Dogs. Children meet at the Flagler County Public Library to participate. Paws to Read is held most Wednesdays from 4 pm to 5:30 pm. Check with the Library for availability.
Articles, Social Media, Presentations, and More
- The Flagler Humane Society produces several informative and educational newspaper articles monthly.
- Listen to the FHS radio show “Speaking of Animals”. It brings in expert animal welfare industry leaders to answers questions, disclaim myths, and overall help to understand pets better.
- Check out our social media presence. We have 3 Facebook pages – Flagler Humane Society, Flagler Animal Services and Flagler Humane Society Thrift Store, a Twitter account, and an Instagram account. Our Facebook page has one of the highest support and following rate in all of Flagler County.
- When requested – representative from FHS will come and do a presentation for community groups. We have been asked to come to schools, civic groups, community centers and nursing homes just to name a few. We usually talk about what it is a humane society does, how to care for pets, bite prevention, why adopt a new pet, etc. Often times we will bring an adoptable pet to showcase.
- We encourage the youth of today to be involved in humane work. FHS will provide humane materials and conduct interviews for students as they prepare a speech or classroom presentation.